DRUG ADDICTION AND OPIOIDS ARE RAVAGING AMERICA: Hundreds of thousands of Americans have lost their lives to drug abuse, and it will only get worse unless action is taken.
• Since 2000, over 300,000 Americans have died from overdoses involving opioids.
• Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of injury death in the U.S., outnumbering both traffic crashes and gun-related deaths.
• In 2015, there were 52,404 drug overdose deaths – 33,091 of those deaths, almost two-thirds, involved the use of Opioids.
• According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics, the national age-adjusted rate of opioid overdose deaths in 2015 was 10.4 deaths per 100,000 Americans.
• The increasing rate of deaths relating to prescription drug abuse has been classified as an epidemic by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
A 12 ounce bottle or can of beer, a 5 ounce glass of wine, and a 1.5 ounce shot all have equivalent amounts of alcohol.
What is Meth (Methamphetamine)?
Meth is a synthetic stimulant that affects the central nervous system. Common names includes: Ice, Speed, Crystal and crank. Composition: Pseudoephedrine, a decongestant, and a number of toxic ingredients like lye and drain cleaner. Meth comes in powders, crystals and pills and is snorted, smoked, injected or swallowed. Meth is extremely addictive. Meth causes significant brain damage. Meth users experience delusions and hallucinations, obsessive behavior, aggression, paranoia and anxiety/depression.
What is K2/Spice – Synthetic Marijuana?
Herbal Incense Products/Aromatic Potpourri. Names include K2, Spice, Sky. It comes in a dried, treated plant material – very similar to marijuana – except it is treated with chemicals. It is normally used by smoking – in a cigarette or pipe. There are various ingredients in K2/Spice and the applied amounts are inconsistent. Adverse side effects include: agitation, anxiety, nausea, racing heartbeat, tremors/seizures and hallucinations. K2/Spice Synthetic Marijuana is now classified as a Schedule I narcotic.
There is now a “quick test” and lab based testing to detect use of k2/Spice.
What is Bath Salts?
Mephedrone and MDPV are two key ingredients in bath salts. This synthetic drug is sold as bath salts and/or plant food. Other names include: Blue Silk, Cloud Nine, Ivory Wave, Ocean Snow and White Lighting. Bath Salts are frequently associated with other rave or club drugs and also referred to as legal cocaine/ecstasy. Bath Salts can be orally ingested, inhaled, injected and snorted. Adverse effects include: chest pains, increased blood pressure/heart rate. agitation, hallucinations, extreme paranoia and delusions. Bath salts are classified as a Schedule I narcotic. Lab based testing can be used to detect Bath Salt consumption.